Friday, April 27, 2012

Jodhaa Akbar

"I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date! No time to say hello, goodbye, I'm late, I'm late, I'm late....."

Trying to cram in a little writing amidst my Bikram shuffle, with the highlights from what felt like the longest day thus far yesterday 8am - 3am, no joke. By the time my head actually hits the pillow, it's more like 3:30am. I survive just fine on 3 hours sleep. Actually, I have more energy than I ever had in my life. Must be the yoga!! Last night marked the end of Week #2 late night Bollywood sessions with this amazing film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodhaa_Akbar
Jodhaa Akbar is a sixteenth century love story about a political marriage of convenience between a Mughal emperor, Akbar, and a Rajput princess, Jodhaa. But little did Akbar know that when he married Jodhaa, a fiery Rajput princess, in order to further strengthen his relations with the Rajputs, he would in turn be embarking upon a new journey – the journey of true love. Akbar’s biggest challenge became winning the love of Jodhaa – a love hidden deep below resentment and extreme prejudice. 

One of Bikram's most interesting disciples, Jim, gave us an amazing lecture yesterday on the history of Bikram Yoga and how the practice and the man made it's way to the US (I will write more on this subject later when I'm not pressed for time). The correlation to this film in yesterday's discussion is that we, as yoga teachers, have to remember that it's not about us. We are helping Bikram complete his incomplete mission by spreading his practice all over the world. The people we don't like, actually need the yoga the most. Therefore, we must never discriminate. Everyone and anyone is welcome in a Bikram Yoga studio - no one excluded, ever! The minute it becomes about you, the yoga has stopped. Yoga is not about yoga postures, it's about life. Practice acceptance of others today and I promise I'll give you a good brain dump later (after my much needed massage!!)
Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment